INFORMATION WE COLLECT FROM YOU
In the course of your use of our website, we obtain the following information about you as described below. We collect this data for the purposes described under “How We Use Your Information”.
SIGNING UP FOR SERVICES; USER INFORMATION
- Information you provide prior to any registration process, such as your email when you provide it to us;
- Information that you provide during any registration process, including in connection with promotion or volunteering, when you call or email us or when you use our products or services; and
USE OF SERVICES, WEBSITE VISITS AND SUPPORT
Data relating to your online activity on our websites with respect to our services, including the following:
- IP address
- browser type and version
- geographic location
- pages you view
- how you got to our Services and any links you click on to leave our Services
- when you update your information or communicate with us
- metadata about your use of our services and your emails
- your interactions with any videos we offer
- issues you encounter requiring our support or assistance
- any device or other method of communication you use to interact with the services
- We store this data we collect in a variety of places within our infrastructure, including system log files, back end databases and analytics systems.
- Your telephone conversations with us.
Information from third party social networking sites, including information that social networking sites provide to us if you use your credentials at such social networking sites to log into some of our services (such as your name and email address to pre-populate our sign-up form).
The information you allow us to access varies by social networking site, and depends on the level of privacy settings you have in place at the social networking site. You can control and find out more about these privacy settings at the applicable social networking site.
- Information you provide to us at seminars or to our partners;
- Information you provide to us in surveys;
- Information that is publicly available; and
- Information you consent to us receiving from third parties.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We use the information we collect, both on its own and combined with any other information we collect about you, for the following purposes:
- To provide services to you;
- To provide you with useful content;
- To ensure the proper functioning of our services
- To offer and improve our services;
- To provide you with requested information or technical support
- To facilitate your website experience;
- To do a better job of promoting our services (our use of your information to do this is performed with your consent where required by applicable law);
- To advertise and market third party products and services (such advertisement is only performed with your permission where your consent is required by applicable law)
- To diagnose problems with our website or hosting provider services;
- In connection with our security and compliance programs;
- To administer our website;
- To communicate with you;
- To target prospective customers with our products or services (such targeting is only performed with your permission where your consent is required by applicable law);
- To assist us in offering you a personalized experience or otherwise tailor our services to you; and
We may also use the information we receive in aggregated and anonymized formats to produce reports on trends and statistics, such as mobile search trends, email open rates by industry, campaign best practices or the number of users that have been exposed to, or clicked on, our websites or evaluated or purchased our products and services.
SHARING OF INFORMATION
As further described below, we will only share certain personal information with:
- our partners;
- third party service providers and vendors;
- in connection with a corporate reorganization;
- authorized users within our organization, or yours; and
- for legal reasons.
SHARING WITH PARTNERS
When we share information with certain third-party partners such as Ontario Creates or the City of Toronto, that information includes your name, email address and other information enabling partners to:
- contact you with offers, services or products that may be of interest to you, and
- provide you with their products or services.
If you are located in a jurisdiction where such sharing requires your permission, we will only do so with your consent.
SHARING WITH THIRD PARTY SERVICE PROVIDERS AND VENDORS
Occasionally, we may enter into agreements with carefully selected third parties so that they can assist us in servicing you (for example, providing you with customer service, fraud detection and deterrence or access to advertising assets and providing us with information technology and storage services) or to assist us in our own marketing and advertising activities (including providing us with analytic information and search engine optimization services). Our agreements with such third parties prohibit them from using any of your personal information for any purpose beyond the purpose for which it was shared.
We may also share information with certain third parties, including the media, industry observers, marketing and advertising partners, vendors, customers, potential customers or partners. For example, we may disclose mobile search trends, email open rates by industry, best practices or the number of users that have been exposed to, or clicked on, our websites or evaluated or purchased our products and services.
If we are involved in a merger, acquisition, a sale of all or a substantial portion of our assets, or other similar sale transaction, your information will be transferred as part of that transaction. We will notify you by email and/or a prominent notice on our website of any such transfer and any choices you may have regarding your information.
Lastly, if legally required to do so, or if we have a good faith belief that such disclosure is reasonably necessary, we may disclose your information to law enforcement authorities and other relevant third parties to conduct an investigation, respond to a third party or law enforcement subpoena or court order, bring legal action, prevent harm to others or pursue other relief when you or a third party are or may be:
- causing injury or other harm to, or otherwise violating the property or other legal rights, of us, other users, or third parties; or
- violating federal, provincial, local, or other applicable law.
The transmission of information via the internet, email or text message is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your information, we cannot guarantee the security of your information transmitted through the services or over email; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will take appropriate technical and organizational measures to safeguard your information against loss, theft and unauthorized use, access or modification.
TRACKING TECHNOLOGIES AND ONLINE ADVERTISING
MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS FROM US
You always have the opportunity to opt out of our marketing communications with you or change your preferences by following a link in the footer of all non-transactional email messages from us or by emailing us at email@example.com. Some communications from us are considered transactional or service communications (for example, important profile notifications), and our services are provided to you upon the condition that you receive these communications from us. You must cancel your account with SMPC, as applicable, if you do not wish to receive any transactional or service communications. To cancel your SMPC account(s), please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may still receive marketing communications from us even after you cancel your account unless you also opt-out of our marketing communications, as described above.
We may contact you by telephone, with your consent where applicable, for marketing purposes. If you do not want to receive marketing calls, please contact email@example.com.
INFORMATION FROM THIRD PARTIES
If an account or profile was created without your knowledge or authorization, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request removal of the account or profile.
RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We retain your personal information to provide services to you and as otherwise necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
You have the right to know whether we process information about you, and if we do, to access data we hold about you and certain information about how we use it and who we share it with.
You have the right to require us to correct any information held about you that is inaccurate and have incomplete data completed. Where you request correction, please explain in detail why you believe the information we hold about you to be inaccurate or incomplete so that we can assess whether a correction is required. Please note that while we assess whether the information we hold about you is inaccurate or incomplete, you may exercise your right to restrict our processing of the applicable data as described below.
You may request that we erase the information we hold about you in the following circumstances:
- where you believe it is no longer necessary for us to hold the information;
- we are processing it on the basis of your consent and you wish to withdraw your consent;
- we are processing your data on the basis of our legitimate interest and you object to such processing;
- you no longer wish us to use your data to send you marketing; or
- you believe we are unlawfully processing your data.
Please provide as much detail as possible on your reasons for the request to assist us in determining whether you have a valid basis for erasure.
THIRD PARTY LINKS AND INFORMATION COLLECTION AND USE BY OUR USERS
Some of our services provide links to other websites. Because we do not control the information policies or practices of these third party sites, you should review their privacy policies to learn about how they collect and use personal information.
You may also log in to some of our services using sign-in services such as Facebook Connect or an Open ID provider. These services will authenticate your identity and provide you with the option to share certain personal information with us, such as your name and email address to pre-populate our sign up form. For example, if you take advantage of certain of our social media features, such as the Facebook Like button, and widgets, such as the “Share This” button or interactive mini-programs that run on our site, the applicable social networking sites may collect your IP address, which page you are visiting on our websites, and may set a cookie to enable it to function properly.
Our services are not directed to persons under 18. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 18. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with personal information without such parent or guardian’s consent, he or she should contact us. If we become aware that a child under 18 has provided us with personal information, we will delete such information from our files.
We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your personal data is treated securely.
NOTIFICATION OF CHANGES